Saturday, August 20, 2011

Week #3 - Thank Goodness for Good Friends!

This was a week that could not have gone as smoothly as it did without friends. My little Bear had surgery early Tuesday morning and between the prep, the day of surgery, and the recovery, things were a bit off schedule to say the least. This is where the good friends stepped in. :)

On Monday I was feeling anxious (even though I know better, I still struggle with in this area) and was very grateful that I had an invitation to come over to a friend's house to watch our kids play on the Slip-n-Slide while we talked. The promise of a fun afternoon got the girls through their schoolwork quickly and helped me focus because I knew that I could talk through my concerns soon enough, so there was no need to dwell on them during math. Tuesday morning another friend moved into rock star status by opening her home at 6am to take in my older, still half asleep kids. After they slept a bit more on the couch she made them an awesome breakfast and then proceeded to teach her three along with my two! She even offered to keep them through lunchtime after Bear was released from the hospital to give me time to get her settled at home. By Wednesday morning Bear was feeling fine and Bug and Boo were only behind in History. We finished everything by Thursday afternoon and I had Friday to catch up on the e-mails and phone calls I hadn't had time to answer during the week.

No new book reports for this week; it wasn't that easy after all! That isn't to say reading didn't happen. Boo got a look at the basal reader provided by home ed. program on Monday and read through it in 40 minutes. Half a year's worth of reading - done! LOL For Tuesday and Wednesday she read two My America books, Our Strange New Land and The Starving Time, about the Jamestown settlement in 1609. On Thursday she started Out of Many Waters, a book about the first Jewish settlement in America. It's very interesting and I'm planning on swiping it after she goes to sleep tonight and reading it myself. :) Bug read The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow, a story of a Navajo girl. Looks like it's time to head back to the library and restock! I think I'll have to buy one of those crates on wheels. It would certainly save my arms and back. :)




I'm linked up to Weird, Unsocialized Homeschooler's Weekly Wrap-Up. Check out her blog for some great, hands on ideas.

3 comments:

  1. I am so sorry your little one had to have a surgery. Glad she is feeling better now. Don't stress over school, it will be done - flexibility of homeschool is wonderful. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love my crate on wheels! I use it A LOT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad Bear is feeling better, and I'm thankful you have such caring and understanding friends out there to step in when you need them!

    ReplyDelete